Narrabri Independent Planning Commission (IPC) Hearing
(Date to be confirmed)
The Narrabri Gas Project has been referred to the Independent Planning Commission (IPC) by NSW Planning Minister Rob Stokes for final determination. This is the final stage of the approval process.
The IPC has been instructed to conduct a public hearing and make their determination within 12 weeks of receiving the Planning Department’s assessment report unless the Planning Secretary agrees otherwise. However, the IPC has, to date, not received the assessment report.
The IPC has released a statement Changes to Public Meetings and Hearings due to COVID-19.
A public hearing extinguishes the right of the proponent or objector to challenge the merits of the IPC’s decision in the Land and Environment Court.
Free, fun and informative activities were being planned around this event but COVID-19 put the process in doubt. To find out more, subscribe to news updates, and we will advise you of developments.
We had planned for experts, local communities and people from all over NSW to gather at Narrabri for several days to demonstrate the community’s rejection of this project and the expansion of the coal seam gas industry in our state.
Writers of submissions in 2017 should be given a couple of weeks’ notice to register as speakers. If you don’t get asked, please request an invitation to speak. More submissions will be called for and will be accepted as the IPC continues.
Write a Submission
- Any person or organisation can make a submission to a parliamentary committee
- You can write a brief letter or a substantial research paper
- You can attach supporting documents
- Submissions must be relevant to the terms of reference so use these as headings
- You only need to address those issues that are relevant to you
- All form submissions are counted as one, so write your own
- If friends don’t have time to write their own, offer to do it for them. Ask them about their main concerns, write their submission and email it to them to edit and provide the address to send it to.
NSW Upper House – Guide to writing submissions.